Sunday, November 2, 2014

Cat Hats & Unreachable Gauge!

This couple of weeks i have realized my knitting gauge is a nightmare. I've worked on two hats where i was unable to make gauge so had to rework both patterns to fit my unmovable one. I also swatched for a sweater(a free pattern via Rav - $5 in Paris)where the problem persisted, and so altering that pattern is also in the future.

I was looking for a hat pattern to possibly gift around the holidays and i found a couple of cute free ones via Rav. My first was the Simple Kitty Hat which has adorable earflaps - this turned out to be my favorite of the two. The other similar hat was the Future of Forestry Hat which has a folded ribbed rim of 1x1 ribbing...i'm surprised i actually made this one. 1x1 rib is my most hated rib combination, and this pattern called for 8" of it. Never again!! If i happen to make it again i'll be doing 2x2.

A baby hat was also completed which turned out pretty cute as well. This is also a free pattern which comes with 2 different hat patterns called Two Lace Baby Hats, check it out in Rav. The goat pillow is also finally complete!! I got to it just in time for Smells Like Yarn group's giveaway. So psyched it's complete, if i do say so myself it turned out pretty adorable :).

 I finished spinning the red/pink stripped yarn as well and have skeined it, however i have not washed it to set the twist yet. During my last update i was in the process of spinning it i believe.... I'm looking fwd to caking this one as well since the color transitions should really show up this way. Something else is on my drop spindles as a WIP, and this type of fiber (superwash merino) is amazing. It really spins like butter - this is my favorite fiber to work with to date. Once i use up some of my fiber stash, i know what i'll be going for.

A tutorial is also in the works, based off the cute ornament i made for my partner during the last swap. If anyone is interested in testing the pattern, do let me know! This will be a free published pattern and i'll be posting a tutorial vid as well. I used a 2" styrofoam ball inside this one, but it could easily be filled with fiberfill or the like. It's pretty adaptable too, so many ways to customize. I'll try to have it up ASAP! Whenever i have the time to edit and have it up that is... :)





No comments:

Post a Comment